What to Do When You’re Locked Out of the House
It can be very frustrating to realize that you’ve locked yourself out of your house. Whether you’ve left your keys inside, forgotten your house keys at work or school, or simply lost your keys, it’s one headache that can be particularly aggravating. An experienced locksmith near you can quickly get you back into your home but there are also some other ways that you can deal with the situation. If you are looking for locked out of your house locksmith services in Milwaukee, WI don’t hesitate to contact Milwaukee Lockstar. Our team of qualified locksmith technicians offers top-rated locksmith services and can help you get back into your house in no time. 414-939-8811
What to Do When You Are Locked Out of The House?
Besides calling a nearby locksmith there are some other options you can try while you wait for them to arrive. We have compiled a wide range of simple yet reliable options for you, if you are Locked out of the house:
- Call for help – It is always helpful to give a spare key to a trusted person in your life for these types of situations. If you live with family or roommates that usually means that there is someone available to let you in, even if you are coming home in the middle of the night. If you live on your own perhaps a trusted next-door neighbor or close friend who lives nearby might be the right person for spare key duty. And if you are a renter you should have the additional option of calling their building manager to let you into your unit. If your landlord does not know you personally, remember to show them your identification.
- Use an unlocked window – Although you should never leave your windows unlocked when leaving the house, a window is often a great alternative for a door. It is best if you are going to try to use a window that it is one which does not have visibility to the public so that people passing won’t see you trying to gain access through it. It is typically not difficult to remove the screen and open the window from the outside in order to climb through, although you should remember the furnishings or other items that could be below the window.
- Remove the doorknob – If the deadbolt is not in use, removing the doorknob can be a simple way to regain entry to your home. Insert a straightened paperclip or bobby pin into the small hole below or to the side of the doorknob, and push on it while twisting the doorknob. Once done, you can remove the locking mechanism in the same manner.
- Use a credit card – If your doorknob operates with a spring bolt, a credit card may be able to unlock it. Insert the card between the door and its frame where the latch is situated, and try to slide it beneath the latch. Because the card may become damaged, choose an expired gift card or another non-valuable option.
- Upgrade to a keyless entry system – Although this option won’t help you in the interim if you find yourself locked out of your home a lot this could be a great solution. With this option, you have the security and peace of mind of unlocking your door with a keypad or a smartphone app.
Unfortunately, even the above precautions are not always foolproof, whether you are in a rush, in the midst of an emergency or are simply forgetful. In such cases, you also have the option of calling a locksmith. Keep in mind, however, that some unprofessional locksmiths prey on customers just like you, hoping to turn your woes into a money-making opportunity.
What To Expect When You Call A Locksmith Because You’re Locked Out of Your House
When you’ve tried all the other ways to get back into your home after you’ve locked yourself out and you need the services of an experienced locksmith in your area know what to expect. A legitimate locksmith service will ask you about what sort of locking system you use and whether you only need back into your house or whether you are going to need lock replacement services. Then they will set up a time to come to your home, many try to offer emergency services so that they can get there quickly. And they will expect to see proper identification to prove that you are the owner of the house before they will unlock the door for you so having that ready for when they arrive can make the task go that much faster.
Things To Watch For When You Call A Locksmith
If you are looking to hire a locksmith to unlock your front door because you have been locked out, consider the following tips to make sure you hire the right person for the job.
- Before you find yourself locked out of the house, obtain quotes from at least 3 reliable locksmiths in your area to select the best one for you.
- Beware of companies that answer the phone with any phrase that does not state their legal business name. If a business that appears legitimate refers to itself as “locksmith service,” ask for their name and address for verification purposes.
- Always confirm the rate advertised on the website. Some companies charge a separate visit fee or after-hours fee in addition to the unlocking service.
- Once the locksmith arrives at your home, request to see their identification and license. Also, note that a legitimate locksmith is required to ask for your own identification to confirm that you live at the given address.
- Beware of a locksmith who arrives in an unmarked vehicle. Legitimate locksmiths will typically arrive in a service truck with their logo printed on it.
- Beware of a locksmith who arrives with a drill in hand. A qualified expert strives to minimize damage to the lock, hence attempting to pick the lock first.
Contact Milwaukee Lockstar When You Are Locked Out of Your House
If you are locked out of the house, the most important thing to remember is not to panic: With adequate preparation, there is always a way to regain access to your home. Furthermore, the Milwaukee Lockstar team is always here to help Milwaukee-area residents not only with unlocking their homes but also with a variety of lock and key options. Call (414) 939-8811 now!
“We had just moved into our new home and amidst all the chaos found ourselves locked out. Despite it being 7:30 pm Ryan was able to not only drive out as quick as he could, but unlocked the door in a timely fashion and provided great customer service. I hope this never happens again, but if it does I know who I’m calling!”
Rating 5/5 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Check out more of our 274+ Google reviews.